Friday, June 12, 2009

Kristen Stewart, Stoner Brat with substance?

If she keeps doing interviews like this, I might have to re-evaluate my opinion of her.

What is it like to be back on set doing another Twilight film?

It's a little bit surreal to be back doing a second one, just because it's something that I thought about for an entire year and now it's happening. But it's sort of like I couldn't wait any longer.

It's hard. Usually you finish a movie and there's a very long grieving process. You have to lose the character. You have to drop it from your mind or else it just continues to bug you. In this case, I couldn't drop her completely and I worked in between, which is a strange sensation. It's weird how easy it was to slip right back into it. I don't know if it's because I have such a reference, like the book, or because I knew that I just had to do it. I don't know, but it feels good. It feels like I can finally release the pressure.

Isn't that pressure kind of self-inflicted?

"Yeah, I have that feeling on every movie that I do. It’s just that this one, I had to wait a year. Unless there's something about the story or that character I'm playing that literally needs to be fulfilled -- like, consummated -- unless it's actually lived through and physically manifested, it's just a story and it's not done. So until you actually bring it to life, you basically have the capability of murdering the character on the page. If you don't do it justice, then nobody else is ever going to see those things and you're never going to learn from those experiences because you didn't do it right.

So yeah, the thought of having to live through something that I find so worthwhile, and then subsequently have people learn from that through your own experience, I would do anything. I would jump off a cliff for it. Oh! There's cliff-jumping in our movie. Perfect! (Laughs)"

You were virtually unknown when you shot Twilight. How has your life changed since its phenomenal success?

"My life hasn't changed. Most circumstances I find myself in are different than they were a year ago, but I myself haven't changed...however a normal 18-year-old girl would change in a year. But it makes things so much easier. I would do it for free every day [even] if nobody saw it. I cannot describe how good it feels to actually have something that is truly into your heart and soul actually affecting people. And that's amazing. So that's the biggest change."

What was it like coming back to a different director?

"As an actor, you don't work with the same director on every film. And this, it's a continuation. It's the same story but it is a different movie. I love Catherine (Hardwicke). She's a dear friend of mine, but Chris (Weitz) – it just works out.

Besides all the technical, logistical reasons, Chris is so devoted and because he's a man, there's a common question. How is it having a man director? Is it a huge difference? You can't make generalizations about people like that. He's one of the most compassionate human beings I've ever met. Unfalteringly compassionate. He cares way too much for the story, and you need that. So he's perfect."

You're still quite young. Do you want to continue making movies or perhaps go to college?

"I absolutely have no foresight. I used to think I had a lot when I was younger. I worked really hard in school to give myself options, and I've literally taken those options and thrown them down the toilet. Purposely – not to make that sound totally negative. It's what I want. I want to keep doing what I'm doing.

It's funny, people ask me all the time: "What do you do for fun? What do you do when you're not acting?"

It's a strange thing, acting. It's a business, it's a job, everything like that. All it is, is self-reflection. You just never stop caring about people and I've never stopped doing that, so I'm sure it'll seep into other areas of my life. I want to write. I'm not going to school because I can't take the structure of it, but I'm not going to stop learning."

Read the whole interview here.

No comments: