Friday, February 27, 2009

The Girl Who Could Fly, Victoria Forester

I visited Stephenie Meyer's site the other day when I was writing the post on her new Vogue Profile, and noticed that she recommended this new YA novel called, "The Girl Who Could Fly," by Victoria Forester.

Meyers has recommended books in the past (specifically Hunger Games) that were pretty phenomenal, and I already mentioned my desire to take a break from reading Crime and Punishment, so I thought I would pick it up and check it out.

So I picked it up yesterday around 4:00 p.m. and finished it when I got home last night. It was a quick read (it is a YA novel after all), and a pleasant distraction for a few hours, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was reading a milder version of Phillip Pullman's, The Golden Compass.

Kids with special abilities sent to polar isolation to unknowingly participate in scientific experiments? Shrill, beautiful woman who gains the trust of these young kids only to better manipulate them? I know there is no new thing under the sun, but it was too much like other books I've read in plot, and too unlike them in substance to successfully pull off a story that stands out from the rest.

I would say read it if you feel like you'd like a quick mental break on a lazy Sunday. Otherwise, if you've read The Golden Compass, or any other Young Adult novel then you've read this already.

No comments: