Saturday, January 26, 2008

Lazy Saturday, Missing Mariana and Civilization



It has rained so much this year it's almost unbearable. I've never really appreciated the rain, and the dilapidated state of my beloved rain boots is not improving my impression.

Suffice it to say, the rainy overcast weather has made it near impossible to wake up in the morning. Boyan and I slept in until 2 p.m. today without a stir.

I don't think it helps that there is next to nothing to do in West Covina and besides trips to the Grocery Store, there isn't much of our neighborhood that Boyan and I have set out to discover.

Every Saturday and Sunday there is a swap meet across the street at Nogales High School, but Boyan and I have yet to go--maybe we're saving it up so we have something to look forward to.

Since Mariana has left the house has been very quiet, and it's been difficult to find anything to do. We have, however, been blessed with wonderful friends in Janea, Jon, Joan, Alex, Minh and Payal--who made the voyage up to our San Gabriel apartment to keep us company. But this weekend our first with an empty home since December, which has brought upon us this hopeless feeling of lethargy. Which would explain the poem I wrote earlier.

So what have we been doing you ask? Well I had been reading--but I finished all my books. The completion of the Harry Potter series as I mentioned before left me in a right funk. Then we were watching a lot of the Micheal Palin travel series but we finished those as well. Let me tell you, watching a man visit every country in the world while you are sitting at home in West Covina isn't the best cure for suburb blues.

Now starts the search for things to do and see. All the books I want to read will be released in March, so I have a month before I can entertain myself. The books are all just brain candy, but the series I do want to start on, which is the Interview with a Vampire series from Anne Rice might result in an OCD reading binge, so I'm holding out as long as I can before I buy them. I've also been yelping a lot. Some of the negative reviews I've written have resulted in the owners of the restaurants contacting me and offering me a free meal. I've considered the possibilities of eating for free for the rest of my stay in West Covina, but I don't think this would be very honest. Plus, I don't think I'd want to go back to any of those places...even if they would pay me.

In the mean time, I'm hoping to add to the nine chapters I've written of Alexandra and Pygmius as well as meet some people in L.A. I've contacted regarding finding a mentor. And I think I'll start going to the gym more often. Make L.A. Fitness work for the $30.00 I give them every month, and I'd like to be more active, because this is about as active as I get these days.

No comments: