Sunday, December 02, 2007

Finishing Harry Potter 7 is like destroying the 7th horcrux of my childhood.

Okay so I stole the title from a Facebook group, but I don't think anything else can truly express how I feel after finishing the last Harry Potter.

I had resisted the Harry Potter movement for so long because, like many other things, I hate to take interest in fads or things that are wildly popularized by the masses. So I resisted Harry Potter until all the books were out and I could judge for myself.

Friday morning at 4 a.m. I finished the last one. November had been the month of Potter--I went through 7 books in 4 weeks--and like someone who consumes a meal far too quickly, I felt like I never truly got to taste every delicious bite of the story. I enjoyed it, and now I miss it terribly. What ever am I going to do now that it is all over?

Maybe it's because of the move, and because Boyan and I are isolated from friends (and things to do) like never before, but I really depended on the books as a refuge from my disappointment in living in West Covina.

I could come home every day (or escape during my lunch hour) to Hogwarts and not have to deal with anything around me.

So, alas, now that it is over I find myself the same way I did when I finished Louisa May Alcott's Little Women trilogy. Very sad, and abandoned. Except this time, I didn't bawl my eyes out.

I might try my hand at finishing my own stories, or reading The Lord of the Rings. But for me it's difficult to find something to engage my time in. If I'm not REALLY excited to read it I can't force myself. We'll have to wait and see what pique's my interest. I'm guessing it will have to be something sci-fi/fantasy related. Until then I have the fifth Harry Potter movie to see (I heard it's bad but I don't care) and the Golden Compass comes out in theaters on Friday!

If anyone has any recommendations for something in the desired category please let me know. For now I must mourn the loss of HP...

5 comments:

Milf Gone Wild said...

I am the only person in the world who's never read Harry Potter...

you can always check out my blog if it's fantasy you're after.

Is this just make believe or just a fantasy (or a Queen song)???

ke said...

caught in a land slide no escape from reality...

Avalon said...

Fierce People

Not really fantasy, but good until you get to the very last chapter.

P.S. I miss you two terribly, even though we didn't hang out that often. Everyone here tends to be very...uppidy all the time. It's nauseating.

Temp said...

The Spook books is a good one the first book is called "The spooks aprentice" i was looking for somthing to fill the void that harry potter had left and this did that i would really recomend u read these book

Odinslastchild said...

I have discovered the wondrous world of Harry Potter Fanfiction for me. Now I'll never be free, but do I really want to??
Nope!
And the best to be found is on the petulant poetess, my home away from Hogwarts....
:)
Happy Weekend.