Saturday, July 07, 2007

Movie Review: Ratatouille

Last night Boyan, The Schlaf and I went to see Ratatouille. I was surely excited, I had heard many great things from family, friends and co-workers and with my own love of animated movies I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.

The movie was being shown at the Landmark on Broxton. This theater had been closed and now is re-opened and it was my first time to visit the small cinema. The food was reasonably priced (it was 14 dollars for sour patch kids, junior mints, a medium popcorn and medium drink. I crawled over a few couples and sunk down into my seat of choice in the middle/front of the small room.

Now, my recipe for animated movie success is simple. Well written story, unique idea and nice graphics. Ratatouille did an incredible job in all three arenas but shined in the story telling and character development department.

No matter how much you hate rats this story truly makes you empathize with Remy, the main character and his love of food. Watching him sniff and smell the different ingredients in the kitchen, you understand his enthusiasm in creating something beautiful. Remy is followed around by the little ghost of his favorite chef Gasteau, and it is in Gasteau's restaurant that he begins his culinary adventures. Gasteau made a legacy when he wrote the book "Anybody can cook," and it is this motto that inspires him throughout the movie.

This movie is just for kids, in fact there were all adults at the 9:55 showing (the theater wasn't sparse neither). There is excitement, disappointment, suspense, romance...everything you could want in a movie.

I definitely recommend you go and Ratatouille. Support quality animated films and good writing.

No comments: