Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Aaron Sorkin to LATimes, "WAH!"

Apparently Aaron Sorkin, creator of the new show Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and previous hit West Wing isn't too pleased with recent articles published about his SNL inspired show.


Just a few pull quotes from these articles:

"While Sorkin accepts the criticism that the show comes off to some viewers as too smug or arrogant – even though he personally doesn't necessarily agree with the assessment - he deems Tinseltown’s major newspaper as shameful for printing such stories." --LA Times


"After watching episode two of STUDIO 60 I must let you in on a little secret. People in television, trust me, are not that smart. Not even close." --Ken Levine on his blog.

"We live in the age of amateurs, and we can all go on the Internet and find people to say mean things about any show, But everybody's voice ought not to be equal."
--Aaron Sorkin


I found this interesting since I had penned my qualms about Studio 60 after it's
first few shows and wasn't aware until now of the backlash Hollywood people and viewers have been having with the show. The "Aaron Sorkin thinks you're stupid," attitude I didn't really get, I personally liked the writing of the show and thought it was witty. I didn't agree with the idealic representations of Hollywood heavy hitters (come on you're fooling yourself if you think THEY are the good guys, or nearly as glamorous as they are depicted on the show), and while I liked the backstage stories I am a little annoyed that we have yet to see any of the sketches, personally I think they couldn't pull them off as successfully as they pretend they do on the show.

Anyways, I found the quote from Ken Levine's blog to be hilarious and from what little experience I have with the hollywood crowd, true. Sorry Mr. Sorkin, you're going to have to get over this idea of living in an "Age of Amateurs," because haven't you read? The Person of the Year was "You." Well, not you but us, Everyman, the people who write blogs and post video, and have myspace profiles. Us "amateurs" are what drove business last year and aren't going to stop anytime soon.

Note to Mr. Sorkin:



Dear Mr. Sorkin,

Your show Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is quite funny, I don't mind spending my Monday nights watching the witty repartee between Chandler er... I mean Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford. The show is humorous, and engaging, but please Mr. Sorkin, Get over yourself.

All the Best,
Me.

No comments: