Friday, February 01, 2008

Election 2008, You down with GOP?

Yea you know me!

Okay, well maybe you don't and maybe you aren't but let's just do a quick update on how the primaries are going so far.

The field has narrowed a bit since the beginning of the race. Candidates who knew they had no chance have dropped out and left very few candidates left to fight the good fight.



For the Dems:
Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton

For the Republicans:
John McCain, Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney and Ron Paul

For those of you who know me you probably think I'm a liberal democrat. It's the stereotype for most women of a certain age growing up in a blue state. I hate to break your hearts but, just as George said I would, I find myself aligning myself with the republican party.

WAIT! WAIT! Before you call the lynch mob hear me out.

It all happened back in college, during my American Politics class. One of my professors asked us to take an issue and to argue it from a democrats and republican's perspective. Now, in order to do this I had to do my research and truly find out what each party stood for. Boy was I surprised to find myself agreeing with almost all of the principles of the Republican party! Also to find out that the people in the white house who call themselves Republicans are a farce and don't uphold republican standards what-so-ever!

Support a woman's right to choose? Me too!
Gay Marriage? You bet!
Bringing the Troops home? Yes sirree!

Republicans stand for minimal government involvement in people's private lives. "The best government is that which governs least." Meaning they don't believe it's their right to tell you how to live your life.

The problem today is the people who are in the republican party use the concerns of the socially conservative base to win votes by pushing conservative politics. Don't like taxes, eh? Well then lets cut taxes and print more money! Inflation? What Inflation? I'll just slash the federal interest rate and flood the market with money so more people will borrow and spend! Oppose abortions and gay marriage, well fuck the constitution let's change that shit! Anything to get their base to support them while they continue on their own agenda.



It all makes me sick. But then I look at Barack and Hillary, and truth be told I'm not that excited about the prospects of either of them taking office either. They're playing the game too well. Their words are too well-scripted. The way they make jabs at each other just seems too out of place in what has become a very serious need to find a leader who will lead the country in the right direction. I really want to find a candidate who will speak the truth and fix the economy and bring troops home and let people make decisions for themselves on how to live there lives.

Which is why I'm supporting Ron Paul. Just watch a few of his clips and listen to what he has to say and I'm sure that you will be convinced. I am currently a registered Democrat, but I will not be caucusing next week. I look at Barack and Hillary and see equals--they will both be equally mediocre and equally inspirational to the masses if they are in the white house. Heck, I think it would be great if they were running mates but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

Boyan is sure to post some links in the comments section for Ron Paul (he's kind of obsessed, and he can't even vote yet!), so if you're interested please check them out.





Some resources:

Obama says Clinton would be a step back
Ron Paul 2008
Transcript of Last Night's Dem Debate
Transcript of GOP debate at Reagan Library
Clinton, Obama Engage in Bitter Debate

No comments: