Monday, August 18, 2008

Somebody stop me, the Twilight series is taking over my life.



I don't know why I always do this to myself. Ever since Little Women when I was in 6th grade, I've allowed myself to become consumed with books. I get lost in the worlds the authors create, and carried away in the lives of the characters. When the book (or book(s) in this case) is over, I fall into a deep depression. A kind of grief for the loss of the characters in my life...it's very nearly pathetic.

About two weeks ago, the intern at LIVESTRONG, Emily, forced me to read Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. It didn't take long, actually, it only took about 10 hours for me to finish the book. Only the rest of the week to finish the 3 that followed. That's 2,592 pages in less than 30 hours people. Considering I probably read from 8:30-1:30 every night (tuesday-thursday, then on the plane friday and sunday, and again sunday night. Monday night I finished at about 9:30. A total of about 30 hours). It was ridiculous. I was like a drug addict, when I wasn't reading I was thinking about reading. I would sneak breaks during the day at work to have a cuppa coffee and read a chapter.

Well, once that was over I re-read my other favorite vampire series Marked. Which is about 900 pages worth of blood lust goodness. Unfortunately that only lasted 3 days, rounding out last week and leaving me bookless and numb. So what did I decided I was going to do? I read twilight again yesterday. Yes, the whole book in one day. I'm seriously considering re-reading the whole series, but Emily gave me a few books as parting gifts (her departure from the office and our shared love of the series has only increased the feeling of loss), so I feel like I owe it to her to read them first.

It's beyond difficult to read anything else right now. It's like filling a void with these damn books--and as much as I don't want to indulge, as much as I know it will only make finishing them the second time more painful, I do it anyways.

It's almost as bad as when I finished Harry Potter. Who knows, it could be worse. Either way I struggle with the conundrum--do I try and distract myself, read a new book, or work on my own writing. Or do I allow myself to fall into the oubliette of the Twilight series once again?

No comments: