Friday, April 17, 2009

The bare necessities of life

These days, I feel a lot like Veruca Salt.



Before I go onto the point of this post, I have to say that Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is the best children's movie ever.

Anyways, I find myself everyday, all the time, always WANTING things. Just a few examples of things I want.


Boyan wants me to drive the scooter to work and I do too, but I really want to be able to ride a bike on nice days. We struck a deal, if he buys me a bike (of my choosing, I want a commuter/hybrid. Something that I could get some exercise on) I will give up my gym membership for a year.


I want a bug convertible.


I saw this beautiful Murano glass chandelier at a lighting store in SM (this isn't the one I saw, just an example). The shop keeper told me, "You have good taste, that's an antique Murano chandelier. It's on sale for $999.99!"


I am OUT of moisturizer. This is more of a need than a want but at $50 a bottle it's a luxury I can't afford right now.


$30 for eyeliner? Ouch.


Why are rugs so expensive? This one starts at $348.


Pillows for our new bed/couch


Queen size bed and padded headboard


Computer Sleeve for my laptop


I hate these things, but the headset that came with my phone is dying.


Keds. Don't ask me why, it's embarrassing.

I could go on but I won't. Some of these things are necessities, others luxuries, but I was thinking about it yesterday and no matter how happy I am, how content I am with life I'm always WANTING more. I don't need for anything, so why does my mind always turn to things that I don't have instead of appreciating those I do?

It really pisses me off, I hate the idea of being controlled by material desires. I don't want my mind to be constantly absorbed with consuming. So, here is what I'm going to do.

Starting May 1st I'm going to stop spending money on unnecessary purchases. Which means, no buying lunch out, no buying clothes or makeup or books. I will only spend money on the bare necessities. That's it. My hope is that by restricting my spending, I'll stop my mind from constantly being wrapped up in wanting things I don't need. And of course I'll save money.

I'll keep y'all updated on how it goes. I'm sure its going to be hard. There are some books that I want to buy in May (okay one book, maybe i'll pre-order it =P), and no extraneous spending means no happy hour, no buying cigarettes, nothing. I just hope it won't mean no fun.



In one month my goal is to go from Veruca Salt to Baloo the Bear. Baloo seems much happier anyways right? Wish me luck.

"And don't spend your time lookin' around
For something you want that can't be found
When you find out you can live without it
And go along not thinkin' about it
I'll tell you something true

The bare necessities of life will come to you"

1 comment:

Emily said...

I know what you mean. I just got a new job, and I'm making more more (for fewer hours) than I was at my last job. But my excitement over my new wealth lasted about a week, and now I'm trying to figure out ways to save/make more money. In large part this is because I'm going to the US in June, and I want to buy all sorts of clothes/shoes/shiny pretty things that I can't find here. Granted some of mine are also needs - new job requires some different clothes - but a lot are wants. I don't particularly have a problem with my consumerism, but I do think it's funny that I'm so hardwired to achieve that even with the accomplishment of a brand new job I'm already trying to figure out how to best position myself for future raises and promotions.