Thursday, March 28, 2013

Eartha Kitt on Love and Compromise

I've been obsessing with this clip every since I stumbled upon the GIF of this scene on my new favorite (albeit strange and perverse) blog. I want to memorize her words, her inflections and tone and perform it as many times as I can whenever possible. She's remarkable.



INTERVIEWER:
But are you willing to compromise? Within a relationship?

EARTHA:
Compromise?
What is compromising?
Compromising for what?
Compromising for what reason?
To compromise?
For what?
To compromise.
What is compromise?

INTERVIEWER:
If a man came into your life, wouldn't you want to compromise?

EARTHA:
(raises eyebrows)
She laughs
Stupid.
She laughs again.

A man comes into my life and I have to compromise? (pause) You must think about that one again.

An extended laugh, Eartha throws her head back in amusement

A man comes into my life and you have to compromise? For what? For what? (pause, demanding) For what? A relationship is a relationship that has to be earned! Not to compromise for. (pause) And I love relationships I think they're fantastically wonderful I think they're great. I think there's nothing in the world more beautiful than falling in love. (pause)  But falling in love for the right reasons, falling in love for the right purpose. Falling in love. Falling in love! When you fall in love…what is there to compromise about?


INTERVIEWER:
Isn't love a union between two people? Or does Eartha, fall in love with herself?

EARTHA:
I think, if you were to think about it in terms of analyzing... (beat) Yes. I fall in love with myself, and I want someone to share it with me. (beat) I want someone to share me, with me.


No comments: